Frequently Asked Questions (4)
Speak the language of the place where one lives allows to speed up the process of social inclusion and socialization. The process of integration is not a one way process because it requires that who is hosting changes way of thinking and of doing things, at the same time he who arrives is in the predicament of taking on the rules of living together needed for a positive integration in the new social and cultural context.Integration means widespread cultural growth and therefore to interaction of different cultures, acknowledgement of equal opportunities.
The language is the point of encounter and transformation is the result of this encounter; a multicultural society is more complex and rich, more open and able to understand the others. Therefore the need of learning the language to pass the test has to be seen as an opportunity even if it could seem as an obstacle due to the fact that the test is mostly on written competence rather than oral. This could penalize those who have a spoken ability of level A2, but have more problems in reading and writing.
A lot of people have learned Italian through immersion, thanks to daily communication on the place of work or in the street, but few have had the time or the chance of learning the language; this is especially true for a lot of women who could have great problems doing the test. The foreigner who has been in Italy legally for at least five years, holder of a permit which can be renewed for an unlimited number of times, has an income which allows to support him/herself and the family members, a house suitable for him/herself and the family, can apply to the Questore (police commissioner) for the long term CE permit to stay (former carta di soggiorno) for him/herself, for the spouse and minor cohabitating children.
In addition to what established for foreigners legally in Italy, the holder of the long term CE permit to stay (carta di soggiorno) may:
- Enter the national ground in exemption of Visa;
- Carry out any legal activity except for those forbidden to foreigners or reserved to citizens;
- Have access to services offered by public administration, unless otherwise established;
- Participate to local public life, practice electorate when expected by the law and in accordance with chapter C of the convention on the participation of foreigners to local public life, of Strasboug, feb. 5th 1992.
The long term CE permit to stay (former carta di soggiorno) is therefore a great opportunity for immigrants in Italy; it is actually the end of the problem of the renewal of the permit to stay, it is a new way of thinking: it is the starting point for feel part of a community, it is like starting to feel Italian.
According to the Decree dated December 4th 2010 of the Ministry of Interior, as of December 9th 2010, in order to obtain the CE long term permit to stay, it is necessary to pass the Italian language test.
Even in order to apply for the release of the long term permit to stay it is necessary have passed the test. If one does not pass the test he or she cannot apply for the permit.
“In order to obtain the CE permit to stay, the foreigner must know the language at a level that allows to understand sentences and expression used in daily conversation, which corresponds to an A2 level of the Common European Framework” (art.2, paragraph1- Decree June 4th 2010).
The CE long term permit to stay may be asked also by the spouse or minor child or cohabitating parents of an Italian citizen or citizen of an European country resident in Italy. All the members of the family who are 14 or older, must however pass the test to prove their knowledge of Italian.
Considered the services and the opportunities offered by the CE permit, we hope that everybody will be able to apply for it. Therefore also women, daughters and wives should arrive at the moment of the application with a knowledge of the language which allows them to pass the test, or with a substitute diploma or title. The best thing is therefore to enrol immediately to a course as sooner as one thinks of staying in Italy for a long term. Every town offers classes, sometimes for free.
On the site you can do http://testitaliano.interno.it reservation for the Italian test, but BEFORE you must register. The registration is done by clicking “made record” in the top left, under the symbol of the Interior Ministry, on the home page.
At the end of the procedure of sending the request, the system gives a receipt that you can print.
Within 60 days of the prefecture will send a letter with the indications of the date, time and place where the applicant may take the test. You have to show up on time at the school indicated in the letter, with all necessary documents for identification, otherwise you can not take the test
• The patronage: INCA, CGIL, ITAL, ACLI, MCL, etc.
• foreign branches of the various municipalities
- children who are less than 14 years;
- the person who has serious problems to learn Italian for age or because they have a disability or illness that must be attested by a medical certificate ASL;
- those who already have a certificate stating that the level of knowledge of Italian language level A2 made by: University of Roma Tre University for Foreigners of Perugia, University for Foreigners of Siena or the Dante Alighieri Society;
- who attended a course in Italian at the CTP and earned a title commemorating the achievement of the A2 level of knowledge of the Italian language;
- who took high school diploma or high school in an Italian school or attending college or a doctorate or a master’s degree in Italian;
- who carries out executive or highly specialized personnel, university professor, translator or interpreter, journalist or correspondent and has its permission to soggiorno.
NB It should not pass the test the applicant for upgrade or duplicate of a permit EC – long-term.
If you find errors in translation in your language or you have any questions, please let us know using the form below. Thank you.